Register | Recover Password

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

HS Home Search aims to provide the best possible service to our clients in all aspects of the property industry, one of them being providing Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs).

Since when have Energy Performance Certificates been required?
From 1 October 2008, all residential buildings have been required to have an Energy Performance Certificate on construction, sale or let of a property. EPCs for the sale or letting of buildings other than dwellings are valid for 10 years.

Why energy performance certificates are required?
An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is intended to inform potential buyers or tenants about the energy performance of a building, so they can consider energy efficiency as part of their investment or business decision to buy or occupy that building.

EPCs provide information on how to make a property more energy efficient, including information on how to best reduce carbon dioxide emissions. Every home that is bought, sold or rented requires an EPC.

In addition to information on the current carbon dioxide emissions of the property, the EPC also has the added function of providing recommendations to the homeowner about the best practices that they can undertake to reduce their emissions.

These recommendations and findings are presented in a chart that demonstrates quickly and easily how energy efficient the property is. Recommendations may include: installing loft insulation and other improvements, information on how making changes may lead to a ratings change and possible savings per year of the changes are implemented.

Which buildings need an EPC?
An EPC is required when a building is constructed, rented or sold. A building will need an EPC if it has a roof and walls and uses energy to ‘condition an indoor climate’. This means it has heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation. For example, a garden shed would not need an EPC if it doesn’t have any heating.

The building can either be a whole building or part of a building that has been designed or altered to be used separately. If a building is made up of separate units, each with its own heating system, each unit will need an EPC.

Situations where an EPC is not required
EPCs are not required on construction, sale or rent for:

  • Places of worship.
    Temporary buildings with a planned time of use less than two years.
    Stand-alone buildings with a total useful floor area of less than 50m2 that are not
    Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings with low energy

EPCs are not required on sale or rent for buildings due to be demolished. The seller or
landlord should be able to demonstrate that:

  • The building is to be sold or let with vacant possession; and
  • The building is suitable for demolition and the resulting site is suitable for
  • They believe, on reasonable grounds, that a prospective buyer or tenant intends to
    demolish the building (on evidence of an application for planning permission).

If you would like an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) then please contact us.